Q. MBA 6211 Project
1) What is the best source for 10-K, 10-Q information? (Edgar?)
· EDGAR is a very good source for 10-K 10-Q information. Mergent Online also includes filing information for companies when you do a specific company search.
2) Is there a resource where they can find quarterly earnings for the last 20 quarters in tabular form, which can or is translated to a spreadsheet?
· Mergent Online is a great resource for company specific information. You can do a search for a specific company and after selecting the company you’re interested in, you can choose the Company Financials tab and view earnings and other financial information. Students can pick between annual and quarterly reports, and also choose how far back to go (which will be useful for forecasting!). These can be viewed in the browser or downloaded as an excel sheet.
3) What is the best database for obtaining public releases (Years ago it was PR Newswire, but there may be something better now)?
· This is one I’m not too sure about; I know that Mergent Online also has a News tab that aggregates recent headlines, but these are pulled from a variety of sources. Another good option might be Business Source Complete and then changing the publication and/or document type when searching.
- PR Newswire is indexed in Nexis UNI. To get results from only PR newswire do an advanced search and type in PR Newswire as your source then search for the company. Because you are doing Fortune 500 companies the company ticker symbol should be sufficient.
We have a Company and Industry Research guide that will be a good starting point for research. The center box, Company Information has links to both Mergent Online as well as EDGAR. We also have a very thorough APA citation style guide that might be useful http://library.uhd.edu/apa.