If I have a list of references, where can I search to find out if the reference is an academic journal, book, or newspaper?

For example, a reference that has (Ed.), where can I search?


If a volume and issue number is listed in the citation, this indicates that the resource in question would be a periodical, possibly a magazine or journal. If an exact date is given (such as Nov. 1, 2010), the resource is likely a newspaper or a weekly magazine. Resources with an editor - denoted with "Ed." - are usually books where each chapter is written by a different author and the editor is responsible for the overall book.

If you are still in doubt, try entering the name of the resource into the LibSearch box on the library's homepage - https://www.uhd.edu/library/Pages/library-index.aspx - and clicking search. On the results page, look for the resource that most closely resembles the citation. Near the end of the description of the resource, you will see an icon and text that indicate the type of resource: newspaper, journal, book, etc.

  • Last Updated Dec 03, 2018
  • Views 36
  • Answered By UHD Librarian

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0 0