Q. I am looking for local manufacturers of non-perishable goods.
I suggest you search the database called ReferenceUSA Business. You can get to it from here: http://library.uhd.edu/content.php?pid=268882&sid=2218552. Once you get into the database, do the following.
1. Choose “U.S. Businesses” from the bottom left corner.
2. Choose the gray “Custom Search” tab.
3. Click on “Business Type,” then “Major Industry Group.”
4. Click on the “+” to the left of the checkbox next to “Manufacturing.”
5. Choose anything you think would be suitable from the resulting list of manufacturing businesses – for example, “23-Apparel and Other Finished Products.” You can select more than one, but you may want to do them separately, since you’re likely to get a lot of results.
6. Click on “Geography” in the left column. Select “City,” “County,” “Metro Area,” or “Zip Code,” whatever you prefer. Scroll down the page, and you will find a box has opened with whatever type of search you identified. Follow the directions to indicate what location you want.
7. Once you have indicated what you want to search, click the green “View Results” button in the upper right corner.
8. As an example, when I searched for manufacturers of apparel and other finished products, in the Houston-Sugarland-Baytown Metro Area, I found 222 listings. If you get too many and want to narrow it down (or just have other parameters in mind), you can select “Revise Search” from the result screen. I would suggest adding a search for “Business Size,” where you can use “Number of Employees” and “Sales Volume” as options. You could also search this from the beginning, instead of doing, then revising, your search.
9. ReferenceUSA Business doesn’t allow easy, unlimited printing and downloading, because they don’t want people using this for mass marketing. There’s a limit to the number of items you can print or download per session (maybe 25?), and you have to select them individually by checking them off on the screen. However, I hope this will at least help in locating contacts.