Q. I am trying to see if I could review this journal: Journal of Modern Education Review.
In trying to research this journal, I found many conflicting signs as to its quality and hence, its likelihood of being available in a library, which would be one source for getting to look at it for free.
I have recently created a guide to evaluating journal quality, found at http://library.uhd.edu/journalquality. I checked the Ulrich's Serials Directory, and although the journal was listed, very little information was given about it. (You can also check this through the guide above.) It was not listed as peer-reviewed, and it is not indexed anywhere. I did not find it in the Cabell's journal directory in education.
When I just searched the name of the journal on the Web, a half-finished Web site came up for it, which might be what you found, saying it was published by Academic Star - (http://academicstar.ecrater.com/p/11598874/journal-of-modern-education-review). When I found Academic Star's main site at http://academicstar.us/, they don't list the journal. They say they're located in New York, but appear to be Chinese. What is there on that site has indicators that mark it as a potentially suspicious publisher, as you'll see from the checklist I have on the guide above.
I searched the ISSN on the Web, which is 2155-7993. A couple of papers came up, but they indicated they were online submissions to the journal, not necessarily the journal itself.
I also searched Worldcat.org, which includes listings of the holdings of most U.S. libraries. It doesn't list any library as holding this journal.
In short, I am not aware of a way to get this to look at for free, and I didn't find any direct reviews; however, what I did find is reason to question the quality, and perhaps the existence, of this journal. Sorry this may not be helpful to you!
- I am also trying to find information regarding this journal. It appears their "half completed" website is in English, but the grammar is quite poor in correspondence I received from them leading me to a similar question.
- The University of Houston-Downtown does not subscribe to the Journal of Modern Education. Based on the lack of quality in their website, as well as descriptions of their publishing practices found on other websites, I would strongly discourage you from using this publication in your research. Further, I would be suspicious of any article or book that cites articles from the Journal of Modern Education.
If you are looking for reputable, scholarly works on education, please consider using ERIC database. This can be accessed by click on the ERIC Database link on the Education Research Guide - http://library.uhd.edu/Education. When accessing the database from off campus, you will be asked for a username and password - these are the same as your username and password for Blackboard.
- I also had a bad experience trying to publish papers with the Journal of Modern Education Review. They took the payment and then did not respond. When I enquired to a person named Betty, I received another standard/general message that my paper was accepted for publication and was required to make a processing fee. I replied to Betty that I had already made the payment and attached a payment receipt from PayPal.
It is disappointing that scams like this exist to gain financial benefit from academics around the world. You are strongly advised to not publish with JMER.
- I am so happy to have seen these posts.
The journal contacted me and told me one of my papers are accepted and I was about to pay them.
I searched a lot and didnt find any reliable source showing that such a journal even exists!
You kind of saved me guys from paying a considerable amount of money (for an article!).
- I received an unsolicited email from "Jessica" asking me to submit a paper recently delivered at a conference; the conference and paper title were correctly identified. The grammar and writing in the note were terrible, an obvious indication of the scam. Apart from stealing money, I wonder if this is also an attempt to steal unpublished research and writing, in order to publish under others' names. The note also suggested that I submit any other articles or books I may have.
- Always check a suspicious journal and/or it publisher on Beale's list. Its updated regularly and is very informative.
- Here's a link to an article about pseudo-journals (and pseudo-conferences).
- I found the following after a google search as I had been sent an unsolicited email regarding a conference paper I had recently given:
Peer Review Policy:
Journal of Modern Education Review (ISSN 2155-7993) is a refereed journal. All research articles in this journal undergo rigorous peer review, based on initial editor screening and anonymous refereeing by at least two anonymous referees. The review process usually takes 4–6 weeks. Papers are accepted for publication subject to no substantive, stylistic editing. The editor reserves the right to make any necessary changes in the papers, or request the author to do so, or reject the paper submitted.
Manuscripts can be submitted to: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Instructions for Authors and Submission Online System are available at our website: http://www.academicstar.us.
I will not pursue.
- I was shocked for reading posts countered to what I have. I have had my article recently published by Journal of Modern Education Review. I shall like to suggest to everyone to get back to Betty for settling the issue. This journal is now existing vitally. I must say this to acknowledge, showcase beauty, and truthfulness I found with the publishers of Journal of Modern Education Review.
International Islamic University, Malaysia
- Today, I got a e-mail from Amy in poor English. And I searched Journal of Modern Eduacation Review. I was curious because my research clearly doesn't relate to education. But now I get it. They are just interested in money and research idea.
- A clear indication of the scam is the grammar . No "real" peer reviewed journal in our field (or any scholary field) would misspell words at the least. I felt good about the email, however, lets be honest, never heard of them.
- I had an email from them that more or less can be summarized as “We am Americans who write broke English. Trust us to publish your stuff. We good friend. Us like you. Us like people who can’t spell spam.” 1 or 2 good things now on their site – I suspect plagiarised. Don’t go near them.
- Yep - they sent me the same type of email about a recent conference paper. Still happening in 2016. So obviously dodgy. Ironic, as I am about to deliver a workshop at my university about predatory publishing.
- I was at first so excited to have my research paper submitted by JMER for its seminar and publishing. However, emails from them kept coming to my inbox asking if I wanted to publish my paper and if I had paid the fee. I said I had no budget for this due to compromised issues, but they still sent me emails and emails. Now that I understand the existence of predatory journal, I should warn you all to be aware. They exist, they will chase you.
- I got similar email as you guys got. Please help me to find if it is real or scam. This is their email:
Dear Andi Febriana Tamrin,
This is Journal of Modern Education Review (ISSN 2155-7993), a professional journal published worldwide by Academic Star Publishing Company, New York, NY, USA.
We have learned your paper" The Reflection of Gender Issue through Nature in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice" at International Conference On Language, Literary, And Cultural Studies.We are very interested to publish your latest paper in the Journal of Modern Education Review. If you have the idea of making our journal a vehicle for your research interests, please send the electronic version of your paper to us through email attachment in MS word format. All your original and unpublished papers are welcome.
Hope to keep in touch by email and publish some papers or books from you and your friends in USA. As an American academic publishing group, we wish to become your friends if necessary. We also want to invite some people to be our reviewers or become our editorial board members. If you are interested in our journal, you can send your CV to us. You can find our sample paper in the attachment. Expect to get your reply soon.
Journal of Modern Education Review
Academic Star Publishing Company
228 East 45th Street,Ground Floor, #CN00000267 New York NY 10017 USA
TEL: 347-566-2153, Fax: 646-619-4168,347-566-2247
Call for Paper
Journal of Modern Education Review (ISSN 2155-7993) is an international, professional, and peer reviewed journal, monthly published in English by Academic Star Publishing Company, USA. It is a scholarly journal of opinion and research in education. Its mission is to provide an interdisciplinary forum for discussion and debate about education's most vital issues. It covers a wide range of topics of current concern in education. Each issue of it will contain a variety of articles, essays, and book reviews. We are interested in receiving well-written and timely papers from individuals for possible publication. The focus of the publication is original completed research that has application to academicians, researchers, policymakers, administrators, and teachers within the broad areas of education.
We would welcome manuscripts on (but not limited to):
＊cultural and linguistic continuity and change;
＊ethnicity, class, gender and diversity in education;
＊systems and infrastructure development;
＊cultures and discourses of educational organizations;
＊educational policy responses;
＊migrant and indigenous education;
＊historical and current educational relationships between Asian and Pacific countries and systems;
＊relationships with the educational ideas and systems of the "North" and "West";
＊the impacts of new communication media and technologies, new and hybrid cultural forms and practices, and globalised economies on education;
＊other topics related to education.
Information for Authors
1. The manuscript should be original, and has not been published previously. Do not submit material that is currently being considered by another journal.
2. The manuscript should be in MS Word format, submitted as an email attachment to our email box.
3. Manuscripts may be 3000-12000 words or longer if approved by the editor,including an abstract, texts, tables, footnotes, appendixes, and references.
The title should be on page 1 and not exceed 15 words, and should be followed by an abstract of 100-200 words. 3-5 keywords or key phrases are required.
4. The title of the paper should be on the cover sheet as well as the top of the first page of text. Author names and affiliations should be on the cover sheet only.
5. Authors of the articles being accepted are required to sign the Transfer of Copyright Agreement form.
6. Authors will receive 2 hard copies of the journal within their papers.
7. It is not our policy to pay authors.
Peer Review Policy
Journal of Modern Education Review is a refereed journal. All research articles in this journal undergo rigorous peer review, based on initial editor screening and anonymised refereeing by at least two anonymous referees.
All papers considered appropriate for this journal are reviewed anonymously by at least two outside reviewers. The review process usually takes 4-6 weeks. Papers are accepted for publication subject to no substantive,stylistic editing. The Editor reserves the right to make any necessary changes in the papers, or request the author to do so, or reject the paper submitted. A copy of the edited paper along with the first proofs will be sent to the author for proofreading. They should be corrected and returned to the Editor within seven days. Once the final version of the paper has been accepted, authors are requested not to make further changes to the text.
Submission of Manuscript
All manuscripts submitted will be considered for publication. Manuscripts should be sent online or as an email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Address: Academic Star Publishing Company, 70 West 86th Street, #CN0000267, New York, NY 10024, USA
228 East 45th Street ,Ground Floor,#CN000000267 New York NY 10017 USA
Journal of Modern Education Review
Is is scam or real? I need your help guys. Thank u
In one week I got contacted twice by "US-China Education Review A & US-China Education Review B" and I just got an email from "Journal of Modern Education Review". Exactly the same email than in the previous post, only it was my name and the title of my paper and it was signed by "Lucky". It's obviously a scam. I an not a native English speaker but I could tell their English was weird. Too weird. And they want "to be friend"?! They hope to publish papers "from [me] and [my] friends in the USA. Guys, I am located in Norway and participated at a conference in Finland, how desperate are they to get papers?
Funny fact: I'm a library and information science student and work in an academic library so I don't really believe it is common for a journal to contact people directly and tell them they are dying to publish their papers.
- Hi, I just got the email from the same email address, but different sender, the name is Lucky. The email body pretty similar like Feby.
I found somethings that bothered me:
1. How could a journal publisher access abstract or database of a conference so they know our research?
2. My research topic was not relevant to any of JMER topics
3. The email body was so long and grammarly wrong
Thanks to my lecturer for her suggestion to googling this journal first and thank you guys for such helpful post and comments
- I just got an e-mail from Lucky. My paper and presentation even was about education. Thank you for your comments. It's the second e-mail I receive offering publication abroad (first Germany, now USA). That's tiring.
- A journal without any reliable and valid evidence should be avoided. They have no links to social websites like Facebook or Youtube. A real academic researcher should never waste time and money on this fake publication. Don't be eager to beget a foreign publication until you apparently know its origins and quality.
- Faculty should consult Cabell's directory and check the "Blacklist" category for titles of journals with violations.
The Journal of Modern Education Review is on the Cabell's blacklist and has 6 violations. There are eight other journals published by the same publisher (Academic Star Publishing Company) that also have numerous violations.
UHD faculty can access Cabell's by going to the UHD library website and selecting "Databases" > "C" > "Cabell's Directories".