My students have an assignment where they need to locate the lead story for the Houston Chronicle for 9/ 9/12. Do you have any suggestions for them?
Your students can find recent issues of the Houston Chronicle (print edition) in the Periodicals Browsing Area, near the Windows Cafe.
Recent changes to the Chronicle website make it difficult to answer this question at http://www.chron.com, because it does not appear to be possible to see any archive of recent online issues (at least without paying for a subscription and consulting the new e-edition). If student access the Houston Chronicle database via our Newspapers guide at http://library.uhd.edu/news, they can find articles that appeared on the front page, but they will be able to distinguish the lead article from other articles on the front page. Still, these steps will get them to that information:
(1) Go to http://library.uhd.edu/news.
(2) Choose the "Houston Chronicle (Newsbank)"
(3) Look for the "Recent Issues" heading at the bottom of the page.
(4) Click on a recent issue link.
(5) Browse the list of articles from "Section A" of the newspaper. The number after each article is the original page number. Any article with the number 1 at the end would have been on page 1 of the print edition.
(6) Click on the title of an article to view the full text.